Monday, February 6, 2012

Creating a Photography Studio

It's finally here.  Twenty-five years in the making...and I finally have my first commercial studio.  Well, not yet.  What I have now is an open office area painted a horrible dark olive green that was formerly occupied by  Country Wide Home Loans.  You know Country Wide...one of those mortgage lending companies that robo-stamped mortgages and helped ease us in the the Great Recession.  A very dubious honor for the future World Headquarters of Luke Photography.  Maybe my first call should have been to have an exorcism performed.

What the studio "does" have is potential.  There are two offices in opposite corners of the room.  The one with the windows overlooking Donnelly's Pub will be my office, natch.  In the opposite corner is an office with no windows that will work nicely as a sales room for reviewing my customer's images with them.

There will be a large area (Shooting Bay #1 in photos) that will be my main shooting area.  There will be another area (Shooting Bay #2) that will be a natural light studio, and at least two other walls that will be used as backgrounds to shoot against.

These photos are from Day 0, when I got the keys from the landlord.  Within an hour, I actually started priming the walls to get rid of that excruciatingly ugly dark olive green paint.  Within a week, the painting should be done.  Within two weeks, the furniture should be delivered.  Within three weeks, the hardwood flooring and any construction that is needed should be done.  And within four weeks, I should be shooting in the new studio.  A Grand Opening-Open House is scheduled for Saturday, April 14th.  That is, unless an exorcism is really needed.  Then I'm calling 1-800-EXORCIST, and postponing the Open House.

Western half of studio. 
Eastern half of studio.  The landlord won't be staying.

Stay tuned as more progress is made.

No comments:

Post a Comment